Re: New GNU/Hurd project: Crust Display System

From: Igor Khavkine
Subject: Re: New GNU/Hurd project: Crust Display System
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:59:08 -0400

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 06:13:24PM +0200, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> James Morrison wrote:
>
> > Ok, how does this relate to current projects such as:
> >
> > berlin  A project to replace X.
> >         http://www.berlin-consortium.org
>
> Well, I guess that it is most reltated to Berlin.

There have been many variations on the same theme after X windows,
like Display Postscript, Y windows, Berlin, and so on and so forth.
And many minds have laboured to created viable and arguably supperior
alternative to X.

I strongly advise you against creating another variation on the same
theme without putting too much tought into it. However if you are
interested in persuing development in this area. I suggest you focus
your attentions on projects that either require more immediate attention
or already show promise.

For example Berlin has been showing promise for some time but is still
lacking application and multi-platform support. It relies on having
access to a GGI environment, however one rarely exists outside of
an existing X server. If you want Hurd to support this display system
natively you need to look at www.kgi-project.org and see how it can
be integrated with the Mach microkernel and Hurd's core servers (like
auth, term, etc.).

Right now we have a working X windows system running on Hurd, and most
developers are quite happy with that. But innovation and experimentation
are always encouraged. But there is always the matter of knowing
where to apply both of these dendencies, please choose wisely.

Igor