Re: ShadowFS (status)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: ShadowFS (status)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:53:41 +0200

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 03:40:15PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> shadowfs should never even *see* a translator if implemented
> correctly.  It just points the user at the "real" location of whatever
> file and tells them to "retry" lookups there.

This is interesting.  So you suggest the shadowfs should just
browse through the directories and give an appropriate retry name?

IIRC, the current implementation by Moritz does the lookup itself and
returns the appropriate port as if it were its own.  Mmmh.
I am not quite sure what is better.  Doing a real retry is also nice
and simple.  I think there were some issues with write support were
it would make a difference.

Thanks,
Marcus