GNU/Hurd

From: donny phillips
Subject: GNU/Hurd
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:19:19 +0100 (BST)

hi

  sorry for the length of this item, but this is a critical issue

-----------------------------
from the GNU/Hurd  help mail I saw

> > On 26 Sep 2001, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > Debian GNU
> > > Hurd i386 binary
> > > Version mumbledeefrotz
> > >
> > > might be my favorite version, but I'm interested in what others
> > > think.
>
> I think "Debian GNU/Hurd" ought to be the canonical name.  Yes, we
> are the One True GNU System, blah blah blah.  But people will be
> justifiably confused if "Hurd" does not appear in the usual short
> tital.  And if the other system is properly called "Debian
> GNU/Linux" it seems only sporting to do the closest parallel.

For what it's worth, I agree. People are starting to associate GNU
with Linux, now that more people are beginning to use "GNU/Linux" (as
opposed to just "Linux") more frequently. Calling it simply "Debian
GNU" will confuse the hell out of a lot of people. "Debian GNU/Hurd"
will give it a better and more distinguishable identity.

IMO, of course ;-)

David Trudgett

PS I may have been dreaming, but I'm pretty sure I read messages on
this list some time ago that implied that "Debian GNU/Hurd" had
already been decided on as the official name. Maybe it was just
someone's opinion, though. -- David.

 I am currently working on this for RMS

 He wants GNU/Hurd  , I believe you can modify that with the name of
the distribution  ie Debian GNU/Hurd .  As soon as GNU/Hurd takes off
 there will probably be a lot of knock off distro's put out by everyone
and his cat.

  If you aren't sure on this, you can always mail rms@gnu.org for
guidance.
cheers