Re: GNU/Hurd

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:50:40 -0600 (MDT)

    Calling it simply "Debian
    GNU" will confuse the hell out of a lot of people. "Debian GNU/Hurd"
    will give it a better and more distinguishable identity.

GNU and GNU/Hurd are two names for the same system; the latter name
emphasizes the fact that the kernel is the Hurd.  It is useful to
emphasize that when making a contrast with GNU/Linux.  In this
context, we want to make that emphasis.

    PS I may have been dreaming, but I'm pretty sure I read messages on
    this list some time ago that implied that "Debian GNU/Hurd" had
    already been decided on as the official name.

Yes, that is its official name, and the reason is that this is a place
where it is useful to make the contrast with GNU/Linux.