Re: Hurd Projects

From: Neal H Walfield
Subject: Re: Hurd Projects
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:43:27 +0100

> Second, there are bootstrap issues.  The loader is loaded directly from
> the root filesystem, so you have to link the root filesystem
> statically.

Nope.  ext2fs.static and /lib/ld.so.1 are both loaded by Grub.

The reason that ext2fs is a static binary is that we would have a
chicken and egg problem if we tried to setup the root file system
using a dynamically linked ext2fs: the dynamic loader (in this case,
loaded by Grub) would need to find the shared libraries to setup the
root file system, however, it would not be able to access the root
file system to find the libraries as the root file system is not yet
running.