Re: Hurd Projects

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hurd Projects
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 02:28:41 +0100

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 05:32:20PM -0700, mike burrell wrote:
> i've thought about this, too, but i wonder if it would not violate some Unix
> standard (Posix?) in some way?

If your translator is doing some useful job, and fitted for the environment
it was designed and written for, we are not going to have another look if it
is standard compliant ;).

Of course, the Hurd as a whole is POSIX compliant (modulo bugs) and should
stay so, but it does not limit itself to it.  If the whole purpose of a
filesystem is to expire data, and expiring data is not compliant with the
standard (I am not saying it is or isn't, just assuming it as an example),
then that's not a problem.

Of course, you are well advised to take some precautions, and not break
conformance unnecessarily.  For example, you could make an expiration
semantically identical to a "rm" operation.  This way you would not
stress the programs using the data too much by failing in severly
extraordinary ways.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de