Re: what info are translators given?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: what info are translators given?
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:23:35 +0100

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 04:31:24PM +0200, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> After a quick look at `fs.defs' and `fsys.defs' my conclusion is that
> the translator can only see the UIDs and GIDs that the process give for
> access control.  I hope i'm wrong.

I don't think you are.

> What we need is RPC context similar to thread-specific data or
> CORBA objects context.  The simplest is to add another port parameter to
>  each remote procedure prototype but i'm not sure this is the correct
> way to do it.  Or provide context-port on file_t port creations (opening
> a file, etc.) but what when file_t is delegated to another process with
> different context?

You need to start to attack this question from the other way.  For one, you
can't just pass something to the server, such information could not be
trusted.  For the pid, you would need a handshake protocol in proc like we
have in auth.  It's definitely possible to implement something like this,
but I am suspicious if it is worth the cost.  Well, you could hack it up and
try it out (performance issues, usability, security etc).

I see some cases where such a feature comes in handy, but /my ? when all
Unix programs know about HOME, ~ ?  If you really want that, there are other
solutions, like shadowing your /my over the root fs.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de