Re: ext2fs-translator keeps crashing

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: ext2fs-translator keeps crashing
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:12:44 +0100

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 06:19:08PM +0100, "Wikström, Mårten" wrote:
> I have a GNU/Linux partiton that I want to mount under /linux. I tried
> # settrans -c /linux /hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd0s2
> and it works. I can ls /linux. But when I try
> # ls /linux/bin
> it says
>
> ls: /linux/bin: Computer bought the farm
>
> What does that mean? And then when I try to ls /linux again I get:

What size is your hd0s2 partition?

Try "settrans -a ..." which will probably show more error messages.

> ext2fs: /dev/hd0s2: warning: FILESYSTEM NOT UNMOUNTED CLEANLY; PLEASE fsck
> ext2fs: /dev/hd0s2: warning: MOUNTED READ-ONLY; MUST USE `fsysopts --writable´
>
> I interpret this as that the translator died and left the partition in an
> inconsistent state. What am I doing wrong?

No, it means it started up correctly so far and found the disk to be
unclean.  It's a warning, and it falls back to read only mode because of
that.  Remove the translator ("settrans -afg /linux") and then do

e2fsck /dev/hd0s2

and everything will be ok.  Or do "fsysopts /linux -w" to make it writeable
and continue at your own risk :)

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de