Third and Fourth IDE controllers and GNU/Hurd GNUMach

From: Christian Holm Christensen
Subject: Third and Fourth IDE controllers and GNU/Hurd GNUMach
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:35:06 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to install Debian GNU/Hurd H2 on my machine, which has it's
main disk on a UDMA ATA/66 disk controller, which happens to be the
third IDE controller (hde in Linux _ I guess  hd4 in GNU/Hurd).
However, if I boot GNU/Hurd via grub like

  root (hd0, 1)
  kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=/dev/hd4s1
  module /boot/serverboot.gz

the kernel complains about non-exisiting device /dev/hd4s1.  Hoever, I
have created that device on the partition (via VMWare).  So my
question is, can GNU/Hurd and GNUMach access the third and fourth IDE
controllers?  I browser through the source of GNU/Hurd in CVS, and it
seems to me that the number of IDE disks supported is determind by the
macro NHD, which per default is 4.  If I set it to 8 and recompile,
will it then support my 3rd and 4th IDE controller?

Please note, that I'm not subscribed to help-gnu, so I you could
please send any reply directly to me, I'd be most happy.  Thank you
for you help.

Yours,

Christian Holm Christensen -------------------------------------------
Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.           Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
         DK-2200 Copenhagen N                Cell:   (+45) 28 82 16 23
         Denmark                             Office: (+45) 353  25 305
Email:   cholm@nbi.dk                        Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm