Re: Configuring Networking

From: David Walter
Subject: Re: Configuring Networking
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:09:11 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Errno Mach wrote:

Hi:

Did you find the following?

http://web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html

 7.1 The Network

To configure the network, the pfinet translator must be configured. This
is done using the settrans command to attache a translator to a given file
system node. When programs access the node, by, for example sending an
RPC, the operating system will transparently start the server to handle
the request.

# settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 \
   -a a.b.c.d -g e.f.g.h -m i.j.k.l

Here, settrans is passed several options. The first two, `fg', force any
existing translator to go away. The next two, `ap', make both active and
passive translators. This means that the operating system both starts the
translator immediately and saves the settings in the node on the file
system. This former also means that any error messages are sent to
`stderr'. The next argument, `/server/socket/2', is the node that the
translator is to be attached to. This is followed by the translator
program to run and any arguments to give it.

Best 'o luck.