/proc and other Linuxisms

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: /proc and other Linuxisms
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:36:11 -0500

Hi,

I've seen that some time ago (Dec. `99) someone asked about eventually
implementing a procfs translator that would do something close to what Linux
does. It seems also that Neal Walfield started to implement a procfs
tanslator. What is now the status? What does it perform?

I'm also wondering how useful is such a filesystem. /proc under Linux contains
quite a lot of information, but all those pieces of information are completely
unrelated: it has info on processes, hardware (IRQs, I/O ports, DMA, etc.),
filesystems mounted, modules loaded, and so on. Shouldn't it be separated in
several small filesystems each one of them having a very specific goal? Also I
believe that using /proc things in a program leads to non-portable
programs, so it should just aim at giving useful pieces of information to the
user (not the programs) I think.

The list archive also shows post regarding a Linux binary emulation layer? Has
there been any work on it? Any pointers?

Cheers,
Ludovic.