Re: Hurd and UNIX signals (SA_SIGINFO)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hurd and UNIX signals (SA_SIGINFO)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:51:40 +0100

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 06:18:24PM +0100, Christian Lynbech wrote:

> I have some software, I wanted to try to compile on Hurd and I have
> run into SA_SIGINFO being undefined (in /usr/include/bits/sigaction.h
> that is), so I would like to get some hints on how to deal with that.
>
> Does Hurd have a linux compatible signal mechanism?

The Hurd has a POSIX compatible signal mechanism (module bugs ;).

SA_SIGINFO is currently not supported though, sorry.  It is non trivial to
implement this on top of the existing infrastructure.  Roland doesn't expect
it to be implemented before the signal code is overhauled for the move to
pthreads.

> Is there anywhere I can study signal handling in Hurd further?

Yes, signal handling is implemented mostly in glibc (glibc/hurd/, and
glibc/sysdeps/mach/hurd/) and partly in the proc server.  What you are
interested in is likely in glibc.  To give you a head start:  every process
has a signal thread that listens on a message port (available via the proc
server) for messages which represant signals.  Look for example in the
implementation of kill in sysdeps/mach/hurd/kill.c and also  in
hurd/hurdsig.c [both in the glibc sources]).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de