Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:44:40 +0100

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 04:08:06PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > We will have to resolve the libraries-in-non-standard-places some day one
> > way or another, check the list archive of debian-hurd for details on how
> > that is possible.
>
> Libs in /X11R6/lib should be `trusted' the same way as the one in /lib for
> instance.

This is what you think and what is correct in Debian.  However, to the Hurd,
/X11R6/lib is just as an obscure place as /opt/foo/libs or
/home/cracker/root-hack.

Rather than working around that in the Hurd linker, we should make use of
the features of the ELF standard and use rpath.  However, that forbids
Debian policy, because rpath can not be overridden.  The upcoming ELF
standard has support for runpath, which is like rpath but can be overridden
(for non-suid programs).  So, we will use that when it is available.

The other possibility is to install X with the empty prefix (so that all X
libs end up in /lib).  This is what we should do anyway, requries some
support in the Debian packaging, though.  I inquired Branden about it, but
never received a reply.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de