Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles

From: Ludovic Court?s
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:31:29 +0100

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:42:17PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:20:36PM -0600, Steven Barker wrote:
> > Another possiblility is to wait for after woody releases and lobby for
> > complete abandonment of the /usr/X11R6 hierarchy in Debian. Brandon's
> > not opposed to it,
>
> That's true.  Me neither! :)  This is by far the best solution right now.
> If we get a binutils with runpath support, that will work fine, too.  But
> that will take some time, I guess :-/

I agree this would be an easy way to fix the problem, but I also think that
there's nothing wrong with having /X11R6. I think this kind of separation is
quite useful (unlike /usr) because the user knows, for instance, that a lib
in /X11R6/lib is for X clients and that programs in /X11R6/bin are all either
X clients or programs related to the X server. Also, "rm -rf /X11R6" should
remove eveything related to X...

Does Debian have a policy on the whole directory hierarchy? ;)

Cheers,
Ludovic.