Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles

From: Joshua Judson Rosen
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:25:13 -0500

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 06:10:04PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> 1. fewer mount points at /. if one makes /usr a separate partition
> (I usually do on servers); then /X11R6 would have to be a separate
> partition as well, or be lumped into the rest of /;

Um....

> neither of which is a pleasant option for me. (for this same reason,
> I abhor /opt, and symlink it to /usr/opt.)

[...]

> 3. I don't see any real distinction between /usr/X11R6 and /X11R6

Probably very few of us do, seeing as our standard practice of making
"/usr" is a symlink to "." makes /X11R6 and /usr/X11R6 the same thing ;)

> (but maybe I just came in to the conversation at the wrong point).

It looks that way.

> Perhaps someone can recap the discussion

The help-hurd archives are at:
    http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/help-hurd/

You can browse the messages on-line, or download mbox-files.

> and bring up some reasons X11 ought to have its own root tree?

It looks like you have a misinterpretation. You are new to The Hurd?