Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:21:56 -0600

> Probably very few of us do, seeing as our standard practice of making
> "/usr" is a symlink to "." makes /X11R6 and /usr/X11R6 the same thing ;)

hmm, ok. I'm still learning the Hurd filesystem layout. so far, it had
looked like the standard linux-ish tree with some extra bits stuck on (like
/hurd).

so it looks like the discussion was oriented towards abandoning the X11R6/*
heirarchy entirely, and moving bin/ lib/ and others to the more conventional
places in the filesystem?

> > (but maybe I just came in to the conversation at the wrong point).
>
> It looks that way.
        I used to have a rule of thumb that I should lurk on a mailing list
for 2 weeks before shooting my mouth off. of course, one needs to ignore
one's own good advice every once in a while, to remind oneself of why that
advice is a good thing. :)

> > and bring up some reasons X11 ought to have its own root tree?
> It looks like you have a misinterpretation. You are new to The Hurd?

yes, I'm new to the Hurd. after 3 attempts, I finally found a box that it
would actually boot on (my laptop); but haven't gotten so far as to install
X or the like. (lack of networking doesn't help, and lack of time hurts
worse).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer