Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:55:40 -0500

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 11:07:53AM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:
>   The main difference at the moment between FHS and the hierarchy now
> used is that /usr is a symlink to /.

The trick is that the FHS doesn't demand that /usr/foo is physically
different from /foo.  We are compliant in this are because of the
symlink, which ensures that whereever the FHS says that a filename is
/usr/foo, you can get the file by using /usr/foo.  That you can also
access it with /foo directly doesn't bother the FHS in the least.

My main concerns is that the FHS does deliberately not include /libexec,
while the GNU standard mandates that.

Nice explanation of the situation, btw.

>   Lack of networking doesn't help (I installed GNU/Hurd on a laptop
> too, and only got networking when I bought a port replicator, which,
> luckily, was cheap).

PCMCIA support is important, it needs to be added to OSKit.

Thanks,
Marcus