Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Moritz Schulte
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 02:12:18 +0100

Richard Kreuter <kreuter@ausar.rutgers.edu> writes:

> I don't know much about unionfs in the BSD's; maybe the existing
> functions of unionfs can demonstrate the distinctions between a file
> hierarchy and store containing a filesystem?

Yes.  It's quite clear how shadowfs should work.  There are (or
'should be') some differences to unionfs however.  For example the
limitation of having only one 'upper' fs layer and one 'lower' layer
is not a good thing.  Furthermore the Hurdish shadowfs should take
advantage of the fs-notify feature of existing fs servers, which makes
it possible to keep the in-core constructed shadow-fs in sync with the
underlying filesystems...

                moritz
--
moritz@duesseldorf.ccc.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06  B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199