Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: 17 Mar 2002 11:24:36 -0800

Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.cx> writes:

> 3.4.2 We don't have dmesg, kill or umount. I think dmesg is too
> OS-specific, kill will be in the next shellutils and I'm not sure what
> to do about umount. Should we provide a frontend just like for
> mount?

dmesg is pointless; it should be required where it makes sense.  For
us, it mostly doesn't.  (Even on Linux, it really doesn't make sense;
it's a duplication of syslog.)

For mount, a front end is fine.  For the case where the arg is the
mount point, it's really easy.  For the case where the arg is the
device, we have to do the lookup in fstab, if we want to support it.

> 3.5.1 Grub needs its config in /boot and that should be allowed.

Quite right--for everyone, not just Hurd.

> 3.9.3 I'm not sure /lib/modules is the right place for kernel
> modules. I think we should move it to the GNU/Linux specific annex.

Yes, it's Linux specific.

> 6.1 Should be named "GNU/Linux" instead of "Linux"

In general, actually, it's Linux here, because it really is the kernel
that is being spoken of, and not really the whole system.  But I have
no strong opinion on the matter.