Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:36:02 +0100

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 03:31:16PM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:
> > 6.2  GNU
> >
> > This is the annex for the GNU operating system.
> >
> > The GNU system is special compared to other UNIX-like operating
> > systems in the way it treats the filesystem namespace. The filesystem
> > namespace is very flexible, you can do anything with it what you
> > want. That's why it is reasonable to specify where you should find
> > directories and files, but not the way those directories and files
> > should get there.
> >
> > 6.2.x  / : The Root Filesystem
> >
> > It's allowed to create a new subdirectory of the root filesystem by
> > the distribution creator or user.
> >
>   How about the following:
>
>   "On a GNU system, the contents of a directory listing need not
> reside on a single volume; therefore directories may be created in the
> root directory of a system, though the size of the bootstrap
> filesystem should be kept to a minimum."

I don't see why that should be. If somebody wants to have everything
on one partition he should just do that. The bootstrap filesystem can
also be a cd-rom or DVD for example, which are quite big.

>   I assume I'm using the term 'bootstrap filesystem' correctly here.
> Is this term acceptable for policy use?

I'm not sure it's better than "root filesystem".

> > /hurd contains the Hurd server binaries. Servers with .static appended
> > to their name must be statically linked servers, servers without
> > .static appended should be dynamic linked servers.
>
>   Is this the correct specification?  That is: .static can be used to
> indicate staticaly linked binaries, while the lack of .static need not
> imply dynamic linkage.

Yes, that was my meaning. I don't see why static linked binaries must
have .static, it's only a good practice to do so.

>   Also, perhaps the first line should read, "/hurd contains the Hurd
> server binaries provided by the distributor" (to distinguish these
> from third-party Hurd servers, when there are some).  Say, the /hurd
> directory should contain only 'trusted' servers, or somesuch.

I think all server binaries should go in /hurd.

> > 6.2.x  /usr/X11R6 : X Window System, Version 11 Release 6
> >
> > This directory should not be used. Instead the X Window System should
> > be placed in /usr.
>
>   I thought it was: 'for each directory <foo> in X11R6, the contents
> of that directory should be placed in /usr/<foo>/X11, if /usr/foo
> exists when X is not installed, or /usr, if /usr/foo doesn't exist.'
> This is Debian policy for non-imake built systems; should GNU adopt
> it?

Binaries, libraries and manpages should just go in /usr/bin, /usr/lib
and /usr/man. Only for include it should be /usr/include/X11 to make
#include <X11/foo.h> possible. Debian policy should do what the FHS
says, not the other way around.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org