Re: GNU login shell

From: Kenneth Stailey
Subject: Re: GNU login shell
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:57:01 -0800 (PST)

--- Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 06:07:31PM -0800, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> > Is the login shell that I get when HURD is multi-user going to be a
> permanent
> > feature or is it just here for the time being?  It seems so ITSy (or should
> > that be ITSish?) that I wonder what people are going to think about it.
> > Personally I don't have a problem with it.
>
> I don't know what ITS means here, but you can also use /bin/loginpr instead
> /bin/login if you want a normal login prompt.

ITS as in

http://www.its.os.org/
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/its

See also

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/ctss

Just the idea of being able to do tons of stuff when you are attached but not
logged it.  I've never seen that anywhere but ITS before.  HURD is not as
extreme in this respect as ITS was.  ITS would really allow any operation no
matter the consequences.  ITS would scribble on the hardcopy console as an
audit trail though.