Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:51:23 +0100

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 11:57:41AM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 05:34:33PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 11:30:03AM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:
> >
> > >   New, little stuff:
> > >
> > > For the GNU annex: several utilities are required for boot or
> > > restoration of GNU/Hurd, and so should be required in /bin: settrans,
> > > showtrans, fsysopts, devprobe, others?
> >
> > I think devprobe isn't really required, I have never used it. The
> > others are right.
>
>   Alright.  I find it handier than reading /dev/klog dumps, though.

Make it optional.

> > We could also add parted for example.
>
>   Parted should go into /sbin, right?
>
>   Related: since normal users on a GNU/Hurd system are to be permitted
> to create filesystems on their own files, the mkfs family belong in
> /bin. FHS puts them in /sbin, since they are not normally to be used
> by standard users.

No, I'm not sure we need a /sbin at all in the GNU system. Most of the
things can just be done by normal users. For the binaries left, I
don't think we need another directory for that. Shall we annoy
everybody a bit more and create yet another symlink? :-)

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org