Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: B. Douglas Hilton
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:17:49 -0500

I shouldn't jump into this emerging flame war, but
I like having some separate directories for things.

When you just throw all the crap into one big
directory you end up like the mess that Windows is
with its horrible system32 directory. Basically
anything that isn't exactly an "app" specific file
gets put there and the directory grows until it
consumes your disk partition.

With several "specific" directories for specific
things, you can do stuff like tar up a directory,
mount a partition, and untar - giving your system
soom to grow. I realize that with today's big
disk boom this is less of a problem, but I just
really like having some things on separate
partitions.

Not to mention having useless files in a PATH
directory wastes time and cycles searching
for the file you want to run.

I think /sbin is a good idea because you could
put stuff like "fdisk" in there and make it not
readable by users. If they don't know it's there
they won't try and run it, and on the off chance
that your permissions aren't quite right...

Hey with internet, anybody could possibly get
hacked. /sbin is a "security" feature more than
anything else.