Using GNUMach drivers

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Using GNUMach drivers
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:03:15 +0100

For some reason, the following message has not been delivered, so I'm trying
again...

----- Forwarded message from Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@utbm.fr> -----

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:29:48 +0100
From: Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@utbm.fr>
To: help-hurd@gnu.org
Subject: GNUMach drivers

Hi,

I have been trying to understand the way GNU Mach drivers work and
specifically the way Linux drivers are integrated. It seems to me that (in the
GNU Mach source tree) linux/src contains the original Linux driver code
(therefore unused) and that linux/dev contains the modified code (with some
glue-code also).

>From my understanding, all the communication between a user-level program and
a driver is done via the device_[sg]et_status() Mach calls, and the GNUMach
reference manual says that the argument called `flavor' is driver-dependant
(BTW, this kind of API is very close to the ioctl() interface...).

The problem I have is that I haven't been able to find any defines or so for
instance for the IDE cdrom driver (and I guess there should be one that would
allow me to play music! ;). I would appreciate your help on this.

Perhaps should I also look for a Mach driver programming manual? Any pointer?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

----- End forwarded message -----