Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:51:16 -0500

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 10:17:07AM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > such reasoning could
> > be like this: "/usr/sbin/init.d/ is right because it is a binary that is not
> > boot-essential and not used by any user."
>
> so what about /var/lib? (another directory I don't fully understand the
> reasoning behind; I'm just throwing this out as an idea).

Yeah, go figure.  If you do one thing wrong it is straightforward to do
another thing equally wrong.  In my /var/lib here is not a single
library, and of course variable libraries don't make sense at all.

This is why the FHS 2.2 says:
/var/lib: Variable state information

And of course, this directory should be called "/var/state", and nothing
else.  It seems to me they tried to do the right thing in 2.0 with this
but backed off again because no distributions followed them.  So the FHS
is docuenting existing breakage here.  Distributions of GNU/Linux did
not manage to make the transition.

Thanks,
Marcus