Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: 26 Mar 2002 17:58:49 -0800

Richard Kreuter <kreuter@ausar.rutgers.edu> writes:

>   I put in several similar paragraphs, and it seemed simplest and most
> symmetric to require all binaries to be where the GNU coding standards
> require, and have symlinks in other places.  Should I remove the other
> similar paragraphs?

The style of the FHS is to not mandate where the actual files are, but
only that they can be found in certain places.  So I think we should
preserve that style.  So say that things are "found here" or "there",
using the same words as the main FHS does for these things.

This is a standards document, not a guide for implementors.

> > > The /com hierarchy should contain the following directories:
> > >
> > > /com/mail
> > > /com/spool/news
> > > <...what else?>
> >
> > This is not necessarily true.  It is true only if those things can
> > actually be shared, given the other software on the system.  I would
> > avoid putting any list here.
>
>   Alright.  I wanted to provide an example or two, since maybe people
> aren't familiar with /com or what it's for.  I'll remove the example
> list.

You can leave the list in, however, if you explain that it's
conditional and not absolute.