Re: Status of the Hurd t-shirts

From: Jan Atle Ramsli
Subject: Re: Status of the Hurd t-shirts
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:35:54 +0200

Jeff Bailey wrote:

> > > AOL!
>
> > > AOL!
>
> > Eh, what does AOL mean? ...
> It's a tradition, ...

I love these stories, and I love to know why.
I wonder if anyone knows why B1FF ALWAYS WROTE IN CAPATUL LETTER WITH
MISTAKES INEM?

He was from Norway, was called O[C-h]/ ystein (that is Eystein, the
first letter is an Oslash)
He had an Apple ][ compatible called West PC 800, 40 characters wide and
no lowercase, and he could write his name correctly by spelling it
0ystein, with a zero. That would look like an Oslash. O and Oslash are
two very different letters, like a and e - someone called Jeff doesn't
like to spell it Jaff. He flunked English, because he was on the BBS all
night long and didn't get to school next morning.
No, I didn't know him personally :-)
Later, someone quite unaware that the UPPERCASE and 0 were born out of
necessity was amused and found it k00l ......

Atle