Re: Status of the Hurd t-shirts (oh, and ...)

From: Jan Atle Ramsli
Subject: Re: Status of the Hurd t-shirts (oh, and ...)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:59:56 +0200

Oystein Viggen wrote:

> * [Jan Atle Ramsli]
>
> > Jan Atle Ramsli wrote:
> >>
> >> I wonder if anyone knows why B1FF ALWAYS WROTE IN CAPATUL LETTER WITH
> >> MISTAKES INEM?
>
> If you know this to be true, you might want to contact
> jargon@thyrsus.com to get the entry in the jargon file on B1FF updated.
> According to the jargon file, B1FF is just somebodys joke.
I don't know it to be true as explained, but I know I was a B1FF, I had
the same equipment described, used the BJ0RN, OYSTEIN 'trick' whenever I
could, and I paid the phonebills myself.
It took a looong time to draw a line at 300 baud, not to mention a
screen, and each screen cost money.
It wasn't me who became a joke, it was a fictive person who for some
weird reason used numbers instead of letters and write in uppercase all
the time. The one who created the joke probably didn't know that we need
three letters not in 7-bit ASCII, and that one of them looks exactly
like the old 0. He also probably didn't know that we didn't have the
money to buy lowercase capability, and he probably didn't know how
expensive it could be for us to correct a typing mistake. B1FF could
have been born out of that ... but I don't know it for sure, and I know
it OT, although most hackers luuuuv hacker folklore, so I will leave the
topic and go back to study SPARC V9-codes, FlexPro and BETA.

Atle