Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:55:27 +0200

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:17:38AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:

> > Considering they call it "the Linux operating system" i don't think they
> > are willing to acknowledge that GNU/Linux is a GNU system. :)
>
> They?  Who's they?  Debian officially says GNU/Linux.

But FHS is not Debian, and calls it "Linux". See section 6.1

> > Referring to "GNU" and "Linux" as OSes separately in the same document
> > seems inconsistent, but I don't think consistency can be archieved
> > when there's a disparity of opinions after all.
>
> Consistency is all the more important now due to the ambiguity and
> differing opinions.

Well, we could ask them to change "Linux" for "GNU/Linux" but I don't
think they would.

> > If we avoid the "GNU" term today, tomorrow "Hurd" will be the name of the
> > whole system.
>
> Sounds like fear talking.  Standards are sensitive, so you want whatever
> you submit to be very "correct."  I'd be happy to help increase the
> consistency of what you propose to submit.  Is there a CVS archive I can
> submit diffs against?

Worth trying if you feel to convince the FHS people :)

cheers,

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992