Re: Running several instances of an fs server...

From: Ryan M. Golbeck
Subject: Re: Running several instances of an fs server...
Date: 24 May 2002 10:44:07 -0400

Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@utbm.fr> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering what happens when several instances of a filesystem server (with
> the same device as a parameter) run on a machine? In other words, what happens
> to the underlying data? How is data consistency handled?

I have found, thanks to Neal's help, that this is not a good idea
unless both of the filesystem are running read only.  The problem is
that both servers will cache information from the disk, and if one of
the servers changes that information the other one will have
inconsistent data in its cache.  So this is a problem even if one of
the filesystems is readonly and the other one is writable.

Ryan

--
Ryan Golbeck <rmgolbeck@uwaterloo.ca>
GPG: 1024D/78916B84 -- 1B1B 2A87 3F00 A7FB 40F3  526D 36CF BA44 7891 6B84