Re: netfs part of a console server with server-client model

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: netfs part of a console server with server-client model
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 08:51:09 -0400

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 01:12:41PM +0200, Wolfgang J?hrling wrote:
> > error_t
> > netfs_attempt_lookup (struct iouser *user, struct node *dir,
> >                       char *name, struct node **node)
> > {
> [...]
> >   if (strcmp (name, "..") == 0)
> >     {
> >       /* Parent directory -- if this is the root directory, return
> >          EAGAIN.  Otherwise return the root node, because we know
> >          that our hierarchy is only one level deep.  */
>
> Why do we return EAGAIN in this case? I don't understand that (and
> neither did the people I was asking about it on #hurd).

It's what hostmux does.  It doesn't matter much, you could also fail
with an assertion, as this case should never occur (.. in the root
directory is handled by netfs_S_dir_lookup).

There are several such places where an error is returned instead failing
with an assertion.  Mmmh.  It doesn't matter too much either way.

Thanks,
Marcus