Re: Let's take Moskus as the Hurd animal!

From: Christian Mertes
Subject: Re: Let's take Moskus as the Hurd animal!
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:21:24 +0200

James Morrison <rocketmail_com@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>  Product? Cute?  Who cares about cute, I want something that
>  stomps on penguins
> and other things that get in the way.

Not sure if general public and media share your oppinion.

Seriously, I oftenly tried to imagine what Linux would be now
without Tux. I don't think they would be that popular. Perhaps
Linux wouldn't have been in the media so much, rendering
GNU/Linux users still a bunch of freaks. What I see now in some
tv shows and newspaper articles is a much larger bunch of
political heroes that invented a completely new economical order.
IMHO caring about that difference is no mistake.

Furthermore it sounds as if you'd like to make the Hurd an OS
monster.

Ok, doing it the OpenBSD way could be an option. They changed
their mascot, too, although a lot of people already knew the old
one. I don't really know why they changed but I think that way
they reach more non-hackers.

> I don't think I should
> go to amazon.com presentations anymore.

Hm?

> The Moskus is cool,

Sure it is but nothing I could feel related to just as the GNU
gnu.

> but the Hurd is an aggregation of things, so I believe a herd
> of GNUs is a better mascot.

A herd sounds like a good idea.

> If you think of a cool free
> software project Moskus would be a kicking name.

ACK. But it sounds better for something security related, a
firewall or something heavy that stands in your way.

        Christian

--