Re: OSKit mach w/St Pats

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: OSKit mach w/St Pats
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:05:32 -0700

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:40:46AM -0400, Derek L Davies wrote:

> Has anyone tried to build OSKit-Mach using a locally built St
> Patrick's day OSKit (ie not a prebuilt OSKit)?  It would be great if
> someone wanted to post a synopsis of what they did

I guess I qualify, since I built the pre-build oskit for Debian. =)

There are two patches required to make it build.  I recommend just
apt-get source'ing oskit and working from there.

>   - What is the label to use when getting OSKit-Mach from CVS?  Better
>     yet, what is the exact command?

If you're not comfortable with CVS, you can fetch a build from
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/cvs/gnumach.tgz.  It's updated nightly, and is
setup so you can just use cvs update to keep it up to date.

>   - What configure options did you use to configure OSKit-Mach to
>     build against your local OSKit tree?  Was cross compilation
>     involved?

I sort'of cross-compiled it.  If you fiddle a bit with mig (basically
build it locally), any i[34567]86-elf compiler will do.  In practice
this means that you don't need to build a cross compiler if you're
working on GNU/Linux or (I think) a recent version of FreeBSD.

The tricky part is the `make' line, without which you have an
Oskit-mach with no drivers.  Currently I use ``make
kernel-ide+ethernet_vortex+ethernet_lance+ethernet_ne2000'' which
covers all I need on my machine and those of my friends.

Adaptec support is b0rked is Oskit.

gcc-3.1 will compile a usable oskit-mach fine (or it did a month or so
ago.  Roland hadn't applied his alpha changes, so I don't know
anymore).  It also compiled Oskit, but I haven't tried running the
result of that one.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
 One of the great things about books is sometimes
 there are some fantastic pictures.