Re: libmachuser vs libmach

From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Subject: Re: libmachuser vs libmach
Date: 16 Jun 2002 20:51:29 -0700

James Morrison <rocketmail_com@rocketmail.com> writes:

> I've been looking though some of the mach interfaces and libmach
> is mentioned in a few places.  This looks to be libmachuser for us,
> is this correct?

libmach existed in some old CMU systems.  It included libmachuser, as
well as some additional user-space-only functions.  (The CMU systems
had a libmachuser which was, more or less, just like ours.)

> I'm also curious about the machine_slot_data_t type, the comment
> says it is bogus, but the interface for xxx_slot_info uses
> machine_slot_data_t instead of machien_slot_t, should this be fixed?
> Also is there any reason that the function to get the function to
> get more information about a processor is prefixed with xxx?

xxx means that it's deprecated or otherwise discouraged.  The fact
that machine_slot_data_t is used only in xxx_slot_info is precisely
why you should believe that it's bogus.

The reason the type is discouraged is that returning a straightforward
struct is a bad idea.  (Compare xxx_host_info with the current
host_info RPC.)  So there should be a revamped slot_info function too,
(and cpu_control) though that hasn't been done yet.

Thomas