Re: "large" partitions support ?

From: Wolfgang Jährling
Subject: Re: "large" partitions support ?
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:32:11 +0200

Niels Möller <nisse@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> Wolfgang Jährling <wolfgang@pro-linux.de> writes:
> > We do not have a limit on the size of partitions.  What we do have,
> > though, is a limit on the size of file systems.
>
> I think that's sligtly misleading. For instance, I think I've seen
> reports on huge nfs filesystems working fine. The ~1GB limit applies
> when mounting a store (usually a disk partition) as an ext2 or similar
> filesystem.

Yes, it is only the case for the file systems which use the diskfs
library, as it maps the file system.  In my understanding, this is done
because this way the caching strategy (what to cache and also how much)
can be done by someone else.  Leaving the "how much" decision to someone
else looks like a very good idea to me in any case.

Note that the limit is at about 2 GB, as only 1 GB is reserved for Mach
(we have been thinking it was 2 GB, but that was wrong).

> I *think* the limit is still there, but there have been recent
> progress on related things. It would be interesting with an update on
> which pieces are still missing.

I fail to see an indication for progress.  What exactly are you
refering to?

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--