Debian packages moved from alph.gnu.org into mirror system?

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: Debian packages moved from alph.gnu.org into mirror system?
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:27:34 +0200

Hello,

I'm working on jigdo templates for the J-series of the Debian/Hurd CD images.

It looks like the dists/sid/local/binary-hurd-i386/ directory contains the files that were on alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian/ when the image was produced. Now some of these packages seem to be on the Debian mirrors.

This is crucial for generating the templates. The template needs to know where to get the files from. If the files are moved they cannot be included in the image being reconstructed and renders the image almost certainly useless. If I know a position the moved file can be expected to appear again, things are not that bad anymore.

Is there an automatic mechanism when files are moved from alph.gnu.org to the mirrors? Is there a fixed place to find the files again?

Additionally, can someone please explain the typical life cycle of an Debian/Hurd package?

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <pstrasser at sbox dot tugraz dot at>