Re: Newbie install problems

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Newbie install problems
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 01:39:23 +0200

Hi Wiekus,

You said Mach hangs after floppy detection?

well this is what usualy follows:

        Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
        FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
        Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!

I think the FDC message is for the floppy, is this the last
message you see?

if so it's likely crashing on the WD-7k probe. try cross-compiling [1] GNU Mach
while disabling WD-7000 support [2].

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 09:42:48AM -0700, Wiekus wrote:
> Here is the snippet form grub config (I copied the linsed directly from
> the install guide)
>
> title Debian HURD (Single User)

why "Debian HURD"? as a whole it's the GNU system distributed by Debian [3]

cheers,

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/gnumach-install.html
[2] see gnumach/i386/README-Devices
[3] http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/faq.en.html#q1-2

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992