Re: start-stop-daemon weirdness

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: start-stop-daemon weirdness
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:12:24 +0200

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:32:17AM -0400, Matthew Grant wrote:
> I'm not sure if my subject is the culprit or
> not. I have a few daemons that are supposed
> to start at boot. Only 2 of the 4 actually
> start at boot. They are inetutils and
> syslogd but boa and ssh do not. So I gotta
> login as root and start them up with
> "/etc/init.d/ssh start" and it starts up
> fine. Has anyone seen this issue before?
> Anyone know of an alternative of starting
> these daemons at boot?

I don't think it's s-s-d fault (s-s-d is just
called by he scripts)

Check the existance of /etc/rc2.d/*ssh*. If they
don't exist you need to run update-rc.d ssh
defaults to generate the symlinks.

If they exist it could be init failing.

btw s-s-d is a debian issue, CCing debian-hurd

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992