Re: help, please

From: THOMAS EDWARD HART
Subject: Re: help, please
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 01:09:07 +0000 (GMT)

Sergey:

> Hello !
> I have Mandrake Linux 8.2 (CPU Duron 755)
> May I install GNU Hurd on my system ?

1. You'll have to check your hardware. The GNU/Hurd Hardware
Compatibility Guide is at:
http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/thug/gnumach_hardware.html

2. If you don't have free unpartitioned space on your disk,
you'll have to re-partition the disk. GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux
are two different operating systems; to run them both on
your machine, you'll have to dual-boot, like sharing a
machine between GNU/Linux and Windows.

> What tools I need for compilling this sources ?

You don't want to do this. Either grab a Hurd tarball, unzip
it onto a blank partition, and follow Neal's install guide,
or burn yourself a copy of the Debian GNU/Hurd installation CDs.

-- Tom Hart
hartte13@brandonu.ca