Re: Gunzip and bunzip2 stores

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Gunzip and bunzip2 stores
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:33:50 +0200

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:05:10PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 07:57:07PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > > and also since store_set_size () doesn't exist anyway so far.
> > > ;)
> >
> > So why don't you just add it and send us a patch?
>
> Actually, I noticed that store.h says:
>
>    A `store' is a fixed-size block of storage, which can be read and perhaps
>    written to.

Well, a store would be of a fixed size before the size change, and of a
fixed size after the size change, so I don't see the problem :)

> Anyway, I started thinking about it. One issue is that I don't know exactly
> what to do with the store runs in store_set_size (): I guess that for the file
> and zip stores it should be quite simple since they should have only one run
> which we would just enlarge/reduce accordingly. However, the solution may not
> be that simple for other stores with more complex run lists. Perhaps we should
> just let each store modify its run list inside its set_size method?

Well, it is one question if such a function belongs to libstore and another
one how to implement it in each case.  Luckily, we can answer the second
question partially and let all uncovered cases return EOPNOTSUPP.  BTW,
maybe the function should be called store_truncate for analogy?

Anyway, if you need this feature for some useful program, and adding this
feature avoids the need for reimplementing libstore, then I think it is well
worth to add it.  In particular as it seems to make some moderate amount of
sense for resizable stores like files.

> Right now, I need to update my Hurd libs to 0.3 before being able to test
> this. BTW, I couldn't find on ftp.debian.org the latest gdb package for
> hurd-i386, where can I find it?

I should be on alpha.gnu.org.  The sources needed a couple of patches (all
integrated upstream now).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de