Re: internship on the Hurd

From: Roel Neefs
Subject: Re: internship on the Hurd
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:21:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Jeff Bailey wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 04:06:29PM +0200, Roel Neefs wrote:
>
> > In a few weeks i'll start my internship in my last year at
> > university (applied computer science).  Since my professor allowed
> > me to do this working on The Hurd, i'm now looking for a nice part
> > to work on. :)
>
> While it's obviously important to work on something you're interested
> in, we have a whole host of things that could use work that keep us
> from using the Hurd everyday -- Especially if you have a one year
> internship to dedicate to it!

The intersnhip itself is only 3 months, afterwards i have to write a
thesis. But if i like it i will probably keep working on it. :)

> It would help if you could post some notes about your experience and
> background, so we don't give you suggestions that are either too easy
> to not be worth it, or too hard for your skills and experience.

Well, i have 4 years of experience in scheme. :)
3 years C/C++/java. I have never worked on kernels, but i'm a fast
learner. (reading a lot of books about it at the moment)
But what i would work on would need to be worth an internship, i don't
think porting programs to the hurd will be allowed by my professor.

> Tks,
> Jeff Bailey
>
> --
> learning from failures is nice in theory...
> but in practice, it sucks :)
>  - Wolfgang Jaehrling

Roel Neefs                             Board Member of Infogroep
2de licentie                                           Treasurer
Toegepaste Informatica                     rneefs@igwe.vub.ac.be