Re: Hurd pt

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Hurd pt
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:29:15 +0200

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 05:53:02PM +0100, Luís Henriques wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm quite new to the GNU/Hurd system (in fact, I didn't not even
> installed it!). However, I have read some of the available documentation
> and I had found it very interesting.

great :)

> What I would like to know is how can I get involved in the project (yes,
> I know that the first thing to do is to install the system. I'm
> downloading it...). I can program in C (and that is what I really want
> to do) but I need to know very well the system and that will take time.

you can contribute on other things, like porting, which need C knowledge
but not specific knowledge of the system. if you're interested, see
http://www.vmlinux.org/twiki/bin/view/Hurd/PortingIssues and
http://www.vmlinux.org/twiki/bin/view/Hurd/BtsFiling

> However, I think that I can start helping translating some documents to
> portuguese (you gessed - I'm portuguese!). Is there anyone doing that?

Never heard of it. if there aren't translations in CVS, i guess not :)

> How can I coordinate my work and with who?

for translation of webpages ask in web-hurd@gnu.org. for translation
of documentation or code (whenever gettext is), you can send patches against
the CVS tree to bug-hurd@gnu.org. see FAQ sections 8.4-5 for details:

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/faq.en.html#q8-4

cheers,

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992