Re: installation error

From: Richard Kreuter
Subject: Re: installation error
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:40:58 -0500

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:41:39AM +0200, bp@demaine.info wrote:
> I got a strange installation error, the same on three computers

  Some of the errors you've posted are known bugs: this one,

end_request: I/O error, dev 03:04, sector 28

is a bogus error message that will occur in case a hard drive has an
extended patition.  It has no impact on system functionality, and can
be safely ignored.

  This one,

console-run: /dev/console: No such file or directory
/libexec/console-run: Using temporary console /tmp/console
/libexec/runsystem: Running on fallback console /tmp/console

is because the first time you boot the system, no devices exist
(devices are Hurd translators, so there's no way to create them from
another system).  /dev/console should be created in the first run of
native-install.

  In your error2.txt the error had to do with /etc/fstab not existing;
the second run of native-install will create a minimal fstab, but
you'll need to fill in its details yourself.  It's used by fsck to
determine what devices to check at boot, and by swapon to activate the
swap partition.

  The problem you report in error3.txt is a recently noted issue,
discussed within the last couple of months on bug-hurd: as a
workaround, add the following to your grub configuration

module /hurd/ext2fs.static --readonly --multiboot-command-line...

  Also, it seems in your install-log.txt that you booted single-user
only once after untarring.  It's necessary to boot single-user and run
native-install twice after unpacking the files.  This is documented in
Mr. Walfield's installation guide.  I don't remember exactly what gets
done during the first run, but I believe the second run initializes
the dpkg databases and creates a minimal /etc/fstab.

Hope that helps,
Richard