Newbies questions

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: Newbies questions
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:47:25 +0200

Hello,

I'm curious about HURD and try to install it. But I still have a lot of
problems with it.

I have Debian GNU/HURD 0.2. Well, I know that it's not the newest
version, but it's the only one I can get at the moment.

So far I have installed the main system on my harddrive
and I can boot it with a diskette.

How can I get GRUB onto the harddisk?
Where is a keyboard driver for german keyboards?!
How can I switch between consoles?
Is there a scrollback buffer as in BSD or Linux?

I've done "MAKEDEV hd1" and it exists, but when I try to
"mount /dev/hd1 /cdrom", it always sais "Segmentation
fault". So how can I mount my CDROM to get my software?

In your installation guide you wrote something about
"/etc/apt/sources.list", but I cannot find it on my disk. Is that just
for later versions?

I've also tried to do it with dselect, but it also can't mount the CD.

I also began to configure the network. First I always thought, that
I've done something wrong, because ping didn't seem to react and I
always interrupted it. Then once I let it go, and indeed after a
while it runs. Why does that take so long to start up???
Then it sais, that it takes 10.0 ms, my other OS sais something
about 1.0 ms. Both use 64 bytes - can you explain that?

Can newer versions handle shared IRQs now?
Is this one gigabyte limitation still valid in newer versions?

--
Tschuess
        Andreas