Re: /servers/socket/2 -- why only one inet socket?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: /servers/socket/2 -- why only one inet socket?
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:12:53 +0200

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 06:48:59PM -0400, Clemmitt Sigler wrote:
> I've learned from reading stuff that /servers/socket/2 <- inet is
> "special."  I tried to find out why by reading the hurd and gnumach
> source code from CVS, but I couldn't find any direct refs to
> this.

/servers/socket/2 is just what glibc uses when you open a socket in the
PF_INET protocol family.  The POSIX interfaces don't give you an option to
choose an alternate stack, right?

But that doesn't express a Hurd limit.  You can start as many pfinet servers
you want.  You could start one on ~/servers/socket/2.  Now you only need
to make glibc use it.  For this, you could probably use a virtual root
filesystem that redirects all access to /servers/socket/2 to
~/servers/socket/2 (such tricks can be done [soon?] with shadowfs for
example]  Or you could try a chroot approach.  Or you compile a private
glibc with a hacked up <hurd/paths.h>.

> It surely would be helpful to have more than one Internet socket
> to use in the Hurd.  I'm willing to bet that OSkitMach and later
> gerneration microkernels (L4/Hurd) address this, among other,
> current limitations.

The nice thing about the Hurd is that this has nothing to do with the
kernel.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de