Re: Trying to install the Hurd on SCSI PC

From: marco
Subject: Re: Trying to install the Hurd on SCSI PC
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:28:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> I tried to put other values thatn sd1s3 (sd0s1,sd6s3,...) but none
> worked. My guess is that the image of the kernel that comes in the
> tarball I downloaded does not support my SCSI controller.

I'm not sure if the sd prefix is right for the Hurd, you could try to test
hd1s3 instead...

> And finally, to rewrite my question in another way:
> - Am I wrong in guessing that my problem comes from the SYM53C8XX driver
>   not to be loaded/included?
> - Should I cross-compile a new kernel, do I have chances to get a
>   working system or are there known bugs in that driver that would make
> things impossible anyway?

I'm not sure what is included with the kernel you are using. Building
gnumach yourself isn't difficult at all. You don't have to crosscompile
gnumach, you can do that with your current gcc. All you need is to build
gnumach is MiG (And sharutils, but I'm not sure about that).

IMHO the best version you can use is gnumach1.3:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnumach/gnumach-1.3.tar.gz

In i386/README-Drivers you can find the configure options you need. I
guess this is: --enable-ncr53c7xx --enable-floppy --enable-ne2000

Marco Gerards