Re: Trying to install the Hurd on SCSI PC

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: Trying to install the Hurd on SCSI PC
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:14:35 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:28:31PM +0200, marco@linuxrulez.nl wrote:
> I'm not sure what is included with the kernel you are using. Building
> gnumach yourself isn't difficult at all. You don't have to crosscompile
> gnumach, you can do that with your current gcc. All you need is to build
> gnumach is MiG (And sharutils, but I'm not sure about that).
Actually, Debian GNU/Linux has mig and oskit packages so all I had to
download was gnumach, and it compiled successfully.

> In i386/README-Drivers you can find the configure options you need. I
> guess this is: --enable-ncr53c7xx --enable-floppy --enable-ne2000
This indeed worked better than the default kernel. It booted faster, and
still detected the ethernet card. However I had trouble detecting the
scsi card. I had it detected by the ncr5380 driver - which is not
appropriate anyway and things ended up in "panic" - but couldn't manage
to have it detected by the ncr53c8xx driver, which is the one I use
under Linux.

So what I tried is to import recent copies of ncr53c8xx.[ch] files from
the Linux source tree, copy this into Mach's source dir, compile and use
this as my Mach kernel. Still did not detect the card, but did not ended up
in a big "panic".

Then I had a look at the README.ncr53c8xx that comes with Linux 2.4.17.
It says:

----------8<------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                  Supported by   Supported by
       On board                                   the generic    the enhanced
Chip   SDMS BIOS   Wide   SCSI std.   Max. sync   driver         driver
----   ---------   ----   ---------   ----------  ------------   -------------
810        N         N      FAST10    10 MB/s        Y             N
810A       N         N      FAST10    10 MB/s        Y             Y
815        Y         N      FAST10    10 MB/s        Y             N
825        Y         Y      FAST10    20 MB/s        Y             N
825A       Y         Y      FAST10    20 MB/s        Y             Y
860        N         N      FAST20    20 MB/s        Y             Y
875        Y         Y      FAST20    40 MB/s        Y             Y
876        Y         Y      FAST20    40 MB/s        Y             Y
895        Y         Y      FAST40    80 MB/s        Y             Y
895A       Y         Y      FAST40    80 MB/s        Y             Y
896        Y         Y      FAST40    80 MB/s        Y             Y
897        Y         Y      FAST40    80 MB/s        Y             Y
1510D      Y         Y      FAST40    80 MB/s        Y             Y
1010       Y         Y      FAST80   160 MB/s        N             Y
1010_66*   Y         Y      FAST80   160 MB/s        N             Y
----------8<------------------------------------------------------------------

And I own a 1010 Fast80 160 MB/s card. Unfortunately it's supported by
the "enhanced" driver which is contained in a "sym53c8xx.c" file which
is in the Linux source tree but not in Mach's. Point is that Linux seems
to compile the enhanced driver automatically when one asks for the
generic one. So from a configuration point of view, I just said "hey,
compile ncr53c8xx" and it compiled both ncr53c8xx and sym53c8xx. As a
conclusion, it really seems that my SCSI card is not yet supported by
GNU Mach.

As I'm still a GNU Mach newbie, I probably won't try and port the driver
myself, and will most certainly buy a cheap 1GB IDE drive 8-)

Thanks for your help, and have a nice day.

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <ufoot@ufoot.org>     __/\__ ___