Re: Debian-Gentoo collaboration on GNU/Hurd ports

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Debian-Gentoo collaboration on GNU/Hurd ports
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 00:18:35 +0100

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:55:32PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> we could get a list for that an generic porting discussion. where should
> i ask for a new list of the Hurd project?

I am happy to have such a list for discussing that topic.  I just don't know
if the savannah interface for mailing lists in that regard is fully
automatic.  Jeff, do you know how this is done?

> > The problem is that Debian bugs should never really go upstream.
> > Debian's glibc is heavily modified to deal with the fact that we have
> > ports that upstream doesn't actively care about (sh and hppa).  Some of
> > those changes involve some fairly invasive hacks.  Certainly in the case
> > of glibc, you risk facing the Wrath Of Drepper (sort of like the Wrath
> > of Kahn, except that drepper always wins *g*)
>
> I see.. then maybe it's not a good idea to share porting-related libc
> bugs with Gentoo.

Well, otoh, the Hurd port of glibc is not modified in the Debian version
IIRC (at least not the Hurd specific parts of it).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/