Re: Debian-Gentoo collaboration on GNU/Hurd ports

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: Debian-Gentoo collaboration on GNU/Hurd ports
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:58:30 -0800

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:55:32PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> > The only problem with this is that patches that we create from the
> > buildd go automatically to the BTS.

> you mean FTBFS bug reports?

Yes.

> > The problem is that Debian bugs should never really go upstream.
> > Debian's glibc is heavily modified to deal with the fact that we have
> > ports that upstream doesn't actively care about (sh and hppa).  Some of
> > those changes involve some fairly invasive hacks.  Certainly in the case
> > of glibc, you risk facing the Wrath Of Drepper (sort of like the Wrath
> > of Kahn, except that drepper always wins *g*)

> I see.. then maybe it's not a good idea to share porting-related libc
> bugs with Gentoo.

Not that they can't be shared.  The Debian glibc folks routinely look at
SuSE and RedHat's glibc trees to see if they have cleverness that we
should have.  Just don't email upstream if you're using modified source.
When we report Debian bugs, we make very sure that what we have is a
real upstream bug.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
(08:53:07) Jeff: (why don't people just use centimetres like God
Intended? *g*)