Re: vmware

From: Danilo Segan
Subject: Re: vmware
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:21:11 +0200

Daniele Bellucci wrote:

Has anybody succeded in installing gnuhurd in a vmware virtual machine?

Not that I know of, but I have suceeded in using 2002-11-xx CVS Plex86 (descendant of Bochs, aiming to do bigger part of emulation on the native CPU, just like vmware). Though, speed improvments over Bochs were not noticeable at the time.

There is now task by Kevin Lawton (I hope I didn't misspell it), original Bochs and Plex86 author to make Plex86 just a module add-on for Bochs. It means that it would have to be supported by some kernel-space driver, and consequently, that it will run only in Linux (unless someone makes another driver for some other system).

You might want to check the Bochs CVS for that, and mailing lists archives, since it was discussed near the beginning of this (2003) year.

If you make any progress, be sure to report it in http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Distrib/VmWare

Cheers,
Danilo